BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday 11 April 2012

The Talented Mr Ripley


The Talented Mr Ripley is one of those where you just wouldn't guess what was going to happen next.  I've seen it so many times, and it is still brilliant.  It's a film that is so often on TV that it has evaded my DVD collection for years so for Christmas I asked for a copy.  Unbeknownst to me the film was actually based on a book so as well as the DVD my Mum bought me a copy of the book.


Even though it was written over 50 years ago it feels very undated if you disregard obvious things such as mobile phones! The film follows the book fairly closely with only subtle differences but it still makes a great read and one I would certainly recommend.

If you haven't seen the film it's about a young guy called Tom Ripley who is struggling to keep away from the jaws of creditors/ law.  One day he bumps into an acquaintance whose son live in Europe against the wishes of his father.  The acquaintance offers Tom a free trip to Europe with the purpose of getting his son to fly back to America.  Once Tom reaches Europe he gets a taste for money and the good life and isn't willing to give it up at any cost.  

I was, as I always am when I finish a good book, disappointed that there wasn't any more to read.  However, it is the first in a series! I went out and bought the whole series last week and I'm now half way through the second which is called Ripley Under Ground.


It is just as gripping as the first and I am left with high hopes for the next three books. The book is only a few £s on eBay so if you like thrillers or know someone who does, buy it!

Alex x

No comments:

Post a Comment